Sail Canada (CYA) Learn to Cruise
Learn to sail and obtain your Sail Canada Learn to Cruise (formerly the Canadian Yachting Association Learn to Cruise – CYA LTC) Basic Cruising certification under the instruction of our Sail Canada LTC instructor.
The Sail Canada LTC Basic Cruising certification states that the successful graduate is able to cruise in familiar waters and to act as both a skipper and capable crew member on a sloop rigged sailboat of 6 to 10 meters in length in moderate wind and sea conditions during daylight hours.
The Sail Canada Basic Cruising course consists of both Ashore and Afloat skills in accordance with the standards set out by the Sail Canada.
Sail Canada LTC Basic Cruising course topic overview:
- sailing terminology;
- safety equipment and procedures;
- rules of the road (Colregs – collision regulations);
- basic weather and navigation (buoys, charts, tides and currents);
- engine operation;
- boat handling under sail/power;
- crew overboard recovery procedure;
- tying knots;
- anchoring and docking;
- sail theory – true and apparent wind
What makes us different!
- we have our Advanced Coastal Cruising certifications;
- we are Sail Canada and American Sailing Association instructors so we can provide a unique perspective on topics that are dealt with differently between the two organizations;
- our instructor, Les, has written a book on advanced coastal cruising currently in use by a number of sailing schools in the United Sates;
- we have ocean sailed in different parts of the world;
- we teach to individual needs from students with ‘no experience’ to students who want a ‘refresher’;
- we teach the course requirements but we also teach outside of the course to expand your sailing abilities
Our 2 weekend Sail Canada Basic Cruising certification sailing course is offered just 40 minutes West of Edmonton on Lac St. Anne.
Course schedule 2018:
- Weekends of June 16th & 17th and June 23th & 24th;
- Weekends of July 14th & 15th and July 21st & 22nd;
- Weekends of August 11th & 12th and August 18th & 19th;
- we may offer a four day (weekday) course if we have two or more people interested – please contact us.
For more information please contact us at: 780 499 4295 (Les) or email: email@example.com
Sail Canada (CYA) – Learn to Cruise Standard
(Standards as set out in the Sail Canada International Log Book)
Section III: Safety